Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Two Ways to Say Goodbye


Dear Diary,


I was able to hang out with Liz today, she texted me saying she wanted to meet me. When I met up with her, it felt like something has changed. She was quite vibrant and happy about something. We decided to go at Starbucks since obviously, we both don't want to do our catching up at school since the brats are just lurking somewhere there, so we needed a place where we could really hang out.

She told me that things came more worst last term, details no need to discuss since we're both over it.

There was something more important things to discuss rather than the insignificant things that would just cause both of us to puke...

"I'm going the the States Kent. I'm leaving after this term." she finally revealed to me."After a lot of convincing with my Dad, he finally decided that its better for me to go study at the US. I can live at my aunt's there."

The revelation struck me for a moment.

"That's good to hear!" I tried to say ecstatically. "I'm sure there are better opportunities there than here."

But Liz was a great mind-reader. She knows instantly if there's something wrong even if you just met her.

"You're not really that excited aren't you?" she asked.

"Of course not! I'm genuinely happy for you Liz . It's just me I'm worried about."

"What do you mean?"

"I know this may sound a bit childish but I feel that I'm gonna be all alone. I mean you're the only one I know in our batch who doesn't hate me, no to mention its hard to meet people in school without at least someone by your side. Its an ocean of strangers out there it overwhelms me." I explained to her.

"I'm sure you're not going to be alone." she said with so much certainty and a smile.

"How sure are you?"

"You'll be fine Kent. I don't know if you know this but I think people will be drawn to you." she instantly said to me. "Well not exactly the kind of people in our batch, the good ones I mean. The reason why you became my friend was not because I just wanted to, but because there's something so interesting about you that until now I can't figure out but what ever it is I'm sure its something good."

"I'm certain there will be someone who's willing to accept you as a friend. Don't rush that much, anyway you just went again on a fresh start." she giggled a little then continued. "And you're funny! Who wouldn't want a funny guy as a friend?"

Though I didn't really get that much of what Liz meant about how people will be drawn to me, it felt comforting when she said that to me. Whatever she meant by it, she said it with heart.

We said our goodbyes after a few almost-teary-eyed conversations. It was sad seeing her go knowing that this may be the last day that I'd be able to hang out with her. With a tight hug and good luck wishes we parted ways.

On my way home, I received a text. I entirely thought it was Liz, but I read a different name. It was from Karl.

Karl: Hey there! Like to hang out?

Its been a week since the day I met Karl. Remembering what Liz said, I realized that I should start meeting new people, so I replied to him and I met up with him at Much 'n Gulp to get a quick snack.

"Hey how have you been? I've been waiting for text but I didn't get any from you, thought you didn't like me." he said with a smile after. "What does he mean by like?" I wondered.

"Silly! hahaha, no I've been just busy with school stuff. Sorry." I awkwardly replied. "How about you?"

Actually I've been wanting to text him but I didn't really had enough courage to do so and I don't really know what to say to him.


''I'm great! Been looking lately for new people to hang out with. Good thing you're here." he said while munching his fries.


"Hey... uhm... How's school been treating you lately? Having a though one?" he asked.


I was caught off guard with his question. I instantly tried to remember if Karl has anything to do with my last term. But as hard as I did I could not have had any encounter with this guy since he's a year ahead of my batch.


"What do you mean?"

"Sorry, I overheard you and your friend's discussion at Starbucks. It's funny you didn't notice me there, I wanted to say hi to you but given the serious discussion you're having with your friend, I did not bother to." he  explained.

"Geez, this guy is everywhere."I said to myself.

"Its okay, just as long you won't say anything to anyone." I said to him without sounding a little annoyed. "I just hope everything change for the better this time."


"Just stick with me then! Everything will be fine." he immediately said to me. "So smile, lets start a good year."

So it did ended with a smile. We went to watch a movie after, and the rest of the day was just pure laughter with Karl. He has so much light and positive energy within him it consumes me.

And by the end of the day when be both parted ways, I knew that this time...

I would not be alone.


Note to self: The best way to give life a chance is to start living.




To memories that will last,

2 comments:

  1. Just backread. Interesting blog. I'll watch out for this :) Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete